Thursday, September 15, 2011

I changed my fuel pump and now my car will start but it cuts off after about 20 minutes. Can anyone help me?

It's a '94 Cadillac Seville STS; I changed the fuel pump 'cause it wasn't sending fuel to the engine. Once removed and I put straight fire to it, it worked. Now it just runs for a few minutes then the stop engine light comes on and shuts everything off. Has anyone had this problem before; if so what was the problem? Thanks in advance...
I changed my fuel pump and now my car will start but it cuts off after about 20 minutes. Can anyone help me?
A nice car! So, I'm going to assume it was running fine before the fuel pump went out and you replaced the fuel pump with a new one. If that's the case and it's now cutting out on you after 20 minutes then i would suggest that you may have gotten a defective fuel pump. It sounds like the fuel pump is loosing pressure as it heats up. If you have a fuel pressure gauge then you could check this easy. If not then take the pump back to where you got it from and trade it for another one. Also, a restricted in-line canister type fuel filter will cause a fuel pump to go bad by stressing it. That possibly could be the case here. It could have caused your first pump to fail and it could be working on the new pump also. The fuel filter should be changed every 30,000 miles regardless. Good Luck
I changed my fuel pump and now my car will start but it cuts off after about 20 minutes. Can anyone help me?
Another option: check in the trunk for a switch. Some Cadillacs come with a fuel shutoff switch that will trip when the system's been messed with.



Also if your car has a security system it may be shutting down your fuel pump to prevent theft. Try disarming and rearming it (if you have one).



Barring that, I'd suggest calling your local garage and asking for advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment