Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What is the average cost, that a mechanic will charge to change the fuel pump on a 2000 silverado?

My 2000 silverado needs a fuel pump replacement. I have bought the oem fuel pump, but I just wanted to know what is the average price that a mechanic will charge to replace the fuel pump.
What is the average cost, that a mechanic will charge to change the fuel pump on a 2000 silverado?
150 and well worth it.
What is the average cost, that a mechanic will charge to change the fuel pump on a 2000 silverado?
i own a repair shop,and the labor runs about a 100 bucks on this ,and try and run all the gas you can out of it this makes it easier and safer to do,for everyone,good luck i hope this helps,.
$35-50 and hour plus parts and shop fees and what ever else.

Job time: 1-5 hours.
the price is going to vary depending on each mechanics price per hour, I've done a couple of these and I would say around a hundred bucks just for labor, the fuel pump itself will of coarse be added to that, good luck with that.
unless you find a really cheap mechanic I'm gona say more like 300-400 bucks. it is in the gas tank and they have to drop the whole tank or remove the bed to get to it.
As a technician it would be about 2 hours labor at the shops labor rate. labor rates vary from independent shops to dealers but all of them will tell you thier rate ver the phone. Don't worry about running the gas out of it as I would raise the bed to access the pump module.

I would recomend replacing the module rather than just the pump because they are notorious for the fuel level sender failing too and that is part of the module anyway.
If it's a standard pump on the engine, $30 to $50.00 + price of pump. If it's in the gas tank, under $100.00 max.
Listen to David. I am on my 8th Blazer for work and GM's are know for this fuel pump issue. I have replaced 6 out of the 8. You want to get in there only 1 time and replace it all while in there, otherwise you are gonna be doing it all again.



Including OEM pump and all parts, I've paid on average $740 for the entire job. Pump, sending unit, labor, fees, etc. Its one of the biggest pain jobs on GM's from what the mechanics tell me.
Well,I'm in Canada,I would charge you $150 (3 hrs),on the side.The dealer would charge you 3 hrs @ $90 an hour here.roughly 300 bucks.
150-200 bucks should cover it. Pump is located in the gas tank, and so the tech has to lower the tank out of the truck. try to drain as much fuel as you can; this will help speed up the process.
Labor is going to be approx 2.3 hours, we would charge 182.00, but it all depends on what the shop labor rate is. Just remember, like anything, cheaper doesnt always mean better, have a shop with ASE trained techs check out your vehicle

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post. I Have Been wondering about this issue, so thanks for posting. Pretty cool post.It 's really very nice and Useful post.Thanks fuel pump cost

    ReplyDelete